- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ▢1 large onion chopped
- ▢2 cloves garlic minced
- ▢2 cups marinara or tomato-based pasta sauce approx. ½ of a 26 oz jar
- ▢1 ¾ cups beef broth or water or as needed
- ▢14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juices
- ▢3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ▢1 green bell pepper diced, optional
- ▢1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ▢1 bay leaves 2 if they are small
- ▢salt & black pepper to taste
- ▢1 ¼ cup elbow macaroni noodles uncooked
- ▢½ cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese, shredded, optional
- Cook ground beef, onion and garlic over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add water, pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, green peppers (if using), seasonings, & bay leaves. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add in the elbow macaroni and continue to simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove & discard bay leaves. Top with cheese if using and replace the lid. Let rest about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.